University of Oxford Text Archive User Agreement
All material supplied via the University of Oxford Text Archive, on behalf of the University of Oxford, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property rights, and duplication or sale of all or part of any of the data collections is not permitted, except that material may be duplicated by you for your research use or educational purposes in electronic or print form. You must obtain permission for any other use. Electronic or print copies may not be offered, whether for sale or otherwise to anyone who is not an authorised user.
- To use and to make personal copies of any part of the data collections only for the purposes of non-commercial research or teaching. To obtain permission prior to using part or all of the data collections for commercial purposes by contacting the University of Oxford Text Archive in order to obtain an appropriate licence from the rights holder(s) in question or their permitted licensee if one is available.
- That this Licence does not operate to transfer any interest in intellectual property from the data collection funders, service funder(s), the data service providers, the original data creators, producers, depositors, copyright or other right holders to me. That any rights subsisting in materials derived now or in the future from the data collections which are the intellectual property of the Crown are hereby assigned (by way of assignment of present and future intellectual property) to the Crown by this Licence to the extent not already vested in the Crown. To take all steps necessary to give effect to this Clause (including by executing further written documentation).
- To give access to the data collections, in whole or in part, or any material derived from it, only to users who have received permission from the University of Oxford Text Archive to use it, with the exception of data supplied for the purpose of teaching.
- To abide by any conditions, displayed on screen or otherwise notified to me, that may apply to the access to, or use of, specific datasets within the data collections.
- To preserve at all times the confidentiality of information pertaining to identifiable individuals that is recorded in the data collections. In addition, where so requested, to preserve the confidentiality of information about, or supplied by, organisations recorded in the data collections. In particular I undertake not to use or attempt to use the Data Collections to deliberately compromise or otherwise infringe the confidentiality of individuals or organisations.
- To meet any charges levied by the University of Oxford Text Archive for the supply of the data collections including, where relevant, annual service fees.
- To acknowledge, in any publication, whether printed, electronic or broadcast, based wholly or in part on the data collections, the original data creators, depositors or copyright holders, the funders of the data collections (if different) and the University of Oxford Text Archive as supplying the data materials, as described in the documentation accompanying the data collections. To cite, in any publication, whether printed, electronic or broadcast, based wholly or in part on the data collections, the data collections used in the form specified on the data distribution notes or in accompanying metadata received with the data collections or notified to me.
- To declare, in any publication, whether printed, electronic or broadcast, based wholly or in part on the data collections, that those who carried out the original collection of the data bear no responsibility for the further analysis or interpretation of it.
- To supply the University of Oxford Text Archive with one copy of any published work based wholly or substantially on the data collections or alternatively with bibliographical details and supporting information if this is requested.
- That the University of Oxford Text Archive may hold the personal data submitted below for validation, statistical and billing purposes, and may pass the information on to other parties such as depositors of material contained in collection of the University of Oxford Text Archive, and copyright and other intellectual property right owners whose material is contained in the collection of the University of Oxford Text Archive. I may request copies of data referring to me held by the University of Oxford Text Archive, and the names of the parties to whom it has been disclosed, on payment of an administrative fee.
- To notify the relevant the University of Oxford Text Archive of any errors discovered in the data collections.
- To accept that a service fee or other charges for provision of the data collections or any part thereof may be charged, and that charging for access to the data collections, or any part thereof, may begin or be varied, 30 days after details of the proposed changes are made available to registered site licence holders and users of the data collections.
- To accept that the University of Oxford Text Archive, and the depositor of any part of the data collections supplied bear no legal responsibility for their accuracy or comprehensiveness, and that the University of Oxford Text Archive and the depositor of any part of the data collections supplied accept no liability for indirect, consequential, or incidental, damages or losses arising from use of the data collections, or from the unavailability of, or break in access to, the service, for whatever reason.
- That where there is no breach of this agreement, it may be terminated, or its terms altered, by the University of Oxford Text Archive either after 30 days notice; or, if a service charge has been paid in advance, at the end of the period for which payment has been made, whichever is the longer.
I understand that breach of any of the above provisions of this Agreement may lead to immediate termination of my access to all University of Oxford Text Archive services, either permanently or temporarily, at the discretion of the University of Oxford Text Archive, and may result in legal action being taken against me.